Understanding your audience, social media and so much more…
If you are reading this page you will know how important it is to reduce, reuse and recycle to minimise the amount of waste that we all produce. People around the world need to understand the 3Rs and know how to use them. This work is done by communications teams, through print media like newspapers and magazines, on television and radio, on websites, and of course, through social media like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. It is also important to change the behaviour of people so that they can start to Reduce, Reuse and Recycle! This is the job of people working in Behaviour Change teams.
Devon County Council is fortunate to have a great Behaviour Change Team, who run the Recycle Devon communication channels of Waste Management made up of experts in using social media and writing communications that people across Devon can understand. Some of the team are pictured here!
Job skills required:
- An ability to work as part of a team – good teamwork is needed to get the job done.
- Knowledge of the waste industry and the 3Rs – you can’t communicate what you don’t know.
- Enthusiasm about the 3Rs – A great communicator is enthusiastic about their subject encouraging people with their passion for their subject.
- Good communication skills – to do this job you must have really good communication skills to be able to interact with people of all ages.
- Adaptability – you never know what will happen on social media or in the press every day and you will need to come up with quick solutions and responses.
- Good interpersonal skills – successful communicators have strong people skills to be able to talk to and engage people.
- Good technical ability – you will need to move with the times and learn new technologies.