Zero Waste Lunches
Our Zero Waste Lunch pages will help you audit your waste from lunchtimes at school and help you with actions that will reduce waste. Why not hold a Zero Waste Lunch day or week in school to help draw attention to school waste at lunchtime?
If you have a school kitchen or canteen where food is prepared you could consider starting a food waste composting system like a Ridan or Big Hanna. See our resources about school food waste composting.
Here is a suggested Plan of Action for getting people involved in reducing Food Waste through a Waste Free Lunch campaign at your school.
- Study our Resources about Food Waste.
- Do an Assembly about Food Waste and Packaging.
- Get kids involved in an Audit of Food Waste and Packaging.
- Work out an Action Plan.
- Plan some Waste Free Lunches.
- Talk to the School Canteen or Kitchen – do they recycle their food waste?
- Put all your ideas in a newsletter or letter home to parents (see resources below).
- Have a Community Waste Free Lunch after-school event.
- Audit the waste again – make it a competition between classes.
- Celebrate any success!